PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2019, 21:21
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Chev One of the RF4 'stars' was the young David Perrin who instructed at Sportair. His RF4 display was quite unique and all on the mighty 1200 VW (or shut down)
Before Sportair started I happened to be a Biggin when a beautiful 'sculptured' single wheel machine taxied onto the pan with its wings balanced by simple hoops. In those days you could wander across the area and have a peek. It was obvious this machine had a VW engine (like my car) and it stood out like a rose amongst the various spam cans austers, Tigers, Chipfires and the odd Prentice. This was a visit by one of the first RF3 in the country and confirmed to me the way ahead for going power. The 3 was French built but the aerobatic 4 was produced in Germany. A few years later having defected to the Tiger Club at Redhill the club did a deal with Sportair against a Stampe and we added yet another VW type to our clutch of Turbulents. It was heaven for the ex gliding types but the low power was not to everyones taste, and there was no discount for switching the motor off. Not really a farm strip machine but once aloft pure magic, with a built in petrol wash for the windscreen when rolled !!!. The RF4 also became well known later with the John Taylor (JT) (ex Cadet) and Brendan O Brien duo (Skyhawks/Unipart) giving a superb aerobatic flying ballet 'display ' (complete with Pink Floyd music plus smoke generators) 'and all still on the mighty!! 1200VW Rectimo '.

Last edited by POBJOY; 4th Dec 2019 at 07:36. Reason: content