PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 3rd Dec 2019, 18:09
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

India's actions seem rather harsh and maybe even unnecessary.
In all fairness, Boeing's AD after the Lion crash recommending turning off the trim works if you do it at the onset of the MCAS trim or after re-trimming and then turning off the trim.
The problem was not knowing the system was installed, how it was supposed to work, and then recognizing its activation. Good friggin' grief. The previous Lion flight crew survived even tho they did not know that MCAS was the problem. The ET folks waited too long and did not keep their speed down to normal climb schedule. Seems they had not been briefed that the wheel trim switches worked per pervious models and defeated the MCAS.
I personally would have no problem with jumping into one of the jets a year ago, with all its warts and all, if I knew the MCAS was installed and how it worked and having a simple light on the fault panel that said "MCAS" when the system was activated. Wouldn't you?
I am not going along with all the "just fly the plane" arguments from a year ago. Sheesh. I did just fine with several problems that you discover in new planes and have to innovate. But I never encountered one due to a system that could drastically influence my flight controls and was not briefed in academics or from another crew.

Gums sends...