PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton-9
Thread: Luton-9
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2019, 18:07
LTNman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PAXboy
I drove under the new bridge yesterday. That 'swoosh' going no where is a heck of a lot of money for a gesture. The extra weight alone would have increased costs and complexity of the foundations. I sure hope the pax who will ultimately pay for it are impressed ...
It has yet to be back lit with lots of blue LED's which come later. The Dart is not costing the airport operator anything as they would not chip in nor has there been a passenger levy to cover the £225 cost. Yes it is all down to the towns council tax payers as the council has already admitted there will be a cut in the dividend to cover the loans the council has taken out.

Should I complain when I have been so critical of how the airport operator cuts building cost to the bone with its cheap construction and materials?. With the council funding the Dart money is no object.

Comments from the architects with artist impressions

https://www.knightarchitects.co.uk/p...irport-gateway

Signposting a modern airway experience
Like airports, the London Luton Gateway Bridge has been designed as a gateway to a destination. Forming a part of the Airport’s forthcoming rapid transit system, the bridge carries passengers from the proposed Parkway Station directly to the terminal beyond.

An airport is an asymmetric experience; half a journey; a departure or an arrival. As such, an asymmetric structure was sought, which would draw they eye skywards to the journey ahead. Spanning 72m across the busy Airport Way, the truss is primarily viewed from below, against the backdrop of the sky. Its top chord traces a parabola which springs tangentially from the deck, before tapering to a slender profile which appears to fade into the distance. This parabolic elevational rise, combined with the plan-curve of the bridge strikes a dynamic and elegant arc in the sky, which suits the moving viewpoint of the both the road and MPT users.

As night falls, the top-chord becomes illuminated with an active-LED system. Unlike traditional lighting systems for gateway bridges, which are illuminated from below, the LED system will be attached directly to the structure and aimed downwards. This allows the lighting system to safely operate in its airport environment, without interfering with the functional lighting behind.

Last edited by LTNman; 3rd Dec 2019 at 18:24.