PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2019, 17:52
chevvron

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by POBJOY
Hi Chev The RF4 (VW 1200 no starter or generator) operated as a motor glider hence its single ignition (a wonderful machine that flew like it looked 'beautiful' ) Fist saw one at Biggin Hill when Sportair utilised them as the 'solo' machine to compliment their RF5 Trainer (VW1700 Limbach and electics plus dual ignition). This was the trigger for me to 'go power' from ATC instructing. The RF5 'single wheel tail dragger' also gave me a very quick intro into the need for rudder on take off that was not an issue with winch launch gliders.
To be classed as a MG and therefore not need dual mags a machine needed a minimum modest glide angle. Its predecessor the RF3 'basic aileron' utilised a mod that decompressed the engine valves to effect an air start, the RF4 provided a lever in the cockpit. Many years later I tried to buy an RF7 (Clipped wing RF4 with the 1700 engine) 'An upgrade from my Turbulent' but the Comper came along so that was that.
I used to read Meccano Magazine in the early '60s and it was there I first read about Rene Fournier and his VW powered RF01; I thought 'what a brilliant idea'' A few years later and it had morphed into the RF3, then RF4. In those days Biggin Hill airshows were televised live and I remember seeing a display by an RF4 with the engine shut down for at least part of its display. When it came time to re-start, the prop jerked round a couple of times then it was realised by Raymond Baxter that it wasn't going to start and was landing, the wheel dropping down just before it touched down.
There was one at Fairoaks for many years; I contacted the owner to see if he would let me fly it but before he could get the insurance sorted he was killed in an accident in another aicraft so I had to wait another few years before I saw a Monnet Moni tri-gear for sale and bought it.