PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MEL definition
Thread: MEL definition
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2019, 15:14
FlightDetent

Only half a speed-brake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I worded the above (and erased some) strictly on purpose so that the naked truth stands out.
- post the dispatch moment: crew decides what to do (does not exclude liaison)
- pre-dispatch, only three options exist
a) the A/C is deemed faultless
b) the snags are processed and signed-off
c) it is effectively grounded with an open defect.

This knowledge helps to interpret the various guidance found in the manuals, and apply their advice in the correct sequence and order of priority.

The Continued Airworthiness (of which I know absolute zilch) is a standalone area of industry expertise, and they have relevant NAA branch telling them how to arrange things too. Another point, imagine if we admitted Airbus-language was a standalone linguistic category, you personally operate in a quad-language environment! On top of it, various Tech Logs have various protocols on who is allowed to sign what, etc, etc...

Out in the field, same like you experienced, I think everyone follows rules and decision-making algorithms that attempt to achieve the above while having weak, contradictory or even missing links.

I am not sure who's quantum computer is the fastest, Google, IBM or Intel. In case you wanted to fry its quarks, ask a simple question: How do I officially record a successful inflight reset after landing on an outstation, so that no delay, operational or financial penalty is incurred as a consequence.

BTW (rhetorical) : What actually is the Maintenance Release and when you really need to have (a new) one? (varies between operateors)