PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAE / AVRO 146
Thread: BAE / AVRO 146
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2019, 14:02
Fly.Buy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a passenger I had the pleasure of flying in a number of BAE146’s, About a decade ago, I remember walking along the ramp of LCY (London City) to see a line up of 146’s all with the lettering of ‘AVRO’ inscribed along the fuselage followed by ‘146’. The fact that the wording of ‘AVRO’ can still be found on aircraft is very nostalgic in today’s modern aviation.
On a separate note I also flew on Turkish Airlines 146’s, but I believe their experiences of the aircraft were very different. They had 1 hull loss. In addition the airline had to suspend operations due to a concern over corrosion but I don’t think it was connected to the hull loses. I believe they gave the 146’s a nickname of ‘Bring another Engine’ an acronym for ‘BAE’. When they finally gave up their fleet of 146’s their engineers were so elated that they slaughtered a camel on the apron of Istanbul Ataturk airport to celebrate, unfortunately they did this in front of parked aircraft full of passengers which caused a few complaints! (Unfortunate for the camel as well!)

Last edited by Fly.Buy; 3rd Dec 2019 at 14:31.