PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - L3 Harris Delays
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2019, 07:13
Rottweiler22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RyanPerry320
Hello
Is this still the case even with airlines like Thomas Cook collapsing?
Surely this means airlines are more likely to go to the more experienced pilots rather than fresh cadets?
There’ve definitely been some changes in airlines’ recruitment habits since Thomas Cook went under, yes. The airline I work for started a cadet scheme with a big school in the summer, and took on a batch of cadets. A week after TCX went under, those who hadn’t started a type rating yet had their job offers withdrawn.

On the flyBe thread too, it appears newly qualified pilots are being flat-out rejected at the application stage. I’m assuming because flyBe have the same bases as TCX, they have plenty of experienced people applying in order to keep their home base.

Overall, I’d definitely say it’s more challenging for a cadet to find a job after the demise of Thomas Cook.

I was always told that cadet schemes with premium-priced type ratings will always soldier on in the big schools. The likes of CAE/L3 offer discounted rates to airlines for their sims, providing the airline has a cadet scheme with their school. Everyone’s a winner. The schools get to advertise in their glossy brochures about their “airline connections”, bringing more people through the doors. They also make a fair bit of money selling type ratings. The airlines are happy because they get a cadet pilot and don’t pay a penny for a type rating, plus cheap sim slots for the rest of their crews. The cadet gets their job. That’s why I think these sort of schemes will never end in the big schools. They’re too lucrative. Regardless of the recruitment environment.

So if you’re at a big school, there’ll always be a chance to dip your bread.