PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Climate Change and YSSY crosswinds?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2019, 01:22
dr dre

Received 363 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by Willie Nelson
I genuinely appreciate they you’re making a concerted effort to persuade your fellow pilots of the legitimate concerns of human induced climate change in a respectful and informed manner.
Us pilots have have so much skin in the game of climate denial and doubt. It’s just too hard for many pilots to recognise the conflict of personal interest. I am also deeply concerned but I am such a small minority within the community of professionals that for the most part I truly respect.
As such a small minority within aviation, I have sadly given up trying to convince anyone anymore, it’s just bloody exhausting.
So thanks you for doing some of the heavy lifting.
Thanks for your appreciation, I don't want to do this, I do feel like Galileo at times. Climate scientists have received threats and abuse, and worse, for doing their jobs.

I do think the opposition to the science stems from a lot of places, but for pilots it's principally because they are convinced their livelihoods and wealth will be affected. Because they believe that any measures to combat climate change will cause them to lose wealth or income they latch on to pseudo science and biased opinions with an agenda denying the reality. it doesn't have to be that way, and pilots should be making a concerted effort to work with science to produce low emissions aircraft, more use of electric and battery powered machines. Humans have accomplished great things with science (medical technology, spaceflight) there's no reason why we can't make it a unified goal if we work together.