PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PFL advice
Thread: PFL advice
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2019, 00:55
Big Pistons Forever

Received 133 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot DAR
I think that despite my great respect for Big Pistons, we're going to disagree on this. I also accept that BPF is probably thinking initial training, where I am talking advanced training, but... For me, the PLF is an exercise in handling the plane to a touchdown. I view the cause check as more an enroute training element. At some point, you're committed to a power off landing. It is at that point, the training to which I refer begins. I train practice forced landings to a touchdown. Of course, I set things up, so there's lots of room, and after the first "surprise", others will be repeated to the same spot. I find it allows the candidate to rejig their perception, and improve by iteration. I agree that the drill can be begun at altitude, and the cause check, and setting up the glide be the first element of the exercise, but sometimes a landing will be the result. However, in all cases I train this, it is to an already experienced pilot, as a part of type training. Aside from knowing the location and function of the secondary controls, the exercise is to accurately manage a rather different handling (usually drag) airplane to a successful touchdown.
For ab initio training the PFL is primarily an exercise in decision making and aircraft management. The glide from 500 AGL to touchdown should have already been taught earlier by first been introduced pre solo and then refined as part of the circuit training post solo. Personally one of my favorite exercises for post solo dual circuit training is to, when traffic permits, extend the downwind so that the the airplane turns final at circuit height on about a 4 mile final. The student is then told to close the throttle when they think they can make their selected touchdown and are not allowed to touch the throttle until they are on the runway.

When I did my PPL my instructor made me do PFL downs to 50 feet AGL. This was great until the flaps 40 would not retract and the grossed out C 150 with a tired engine on a 33 deg day would only climb at 50 feet min. On the way back to the airport we had to turn to dodge power lines, trees, and houses. Each gentle turn stopped the climb. 8 miles later we entered the base leg for our home airport at 200 ft AGL.

At 500 ft AGL it will be completely obvious if you are going to make the intended touchdown point and the aim of the exercise has been achieved, with enough margin to deal with unexpected events.......

With respect to flaps I teach use of flaps the same way I teach use of spoiler for gliders, wait to add flaps when you see overshoot developing ( ie touchdown point is moving down the windshield)