PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Climate Change and YSSY crosswinds?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2019, 21:37
73qanda

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
I believe the 97% of scientists saying that human induced climate change is a fact, not just a hypothesis.

As factual as Lincoln being assassinated.
As factual as this sentence containing words.

A hypothesis is a statement that scientific research can test. Scientists made their hypothesis on climate change, conducted the research and experiments and came back with the evidencethat climate change is real, a conclusion that climate change is real, therefore it’s a fact.

This is a direct quote from NASA about the fact of climate change:
Dre do you not see the difference between Lincoln being assassinated and, this sentence containing words, and the predictions of climate models?
Two of them are verifiable and one is not.
That the climate changes is fact ( it is verifiable) , I would say that humans ( and other animals/ plants ) having an effect on the climate is also fact ( verifiable).
The output of climate prediction models which by their nature must be produced using assumptions, don’t meet the standard of scientific fact. I can’t go out and verify them and you can’t go out and falsify them.
There is a consensus for sure. History shows us that consensus is a poor measure for what is good/ right/ correct.
What we need now is less polarisation, less derogatory comments, less hype, less scaremongering, and more diligent, independent, process based scientific research with accurate reporting of the findings. It will take decades to build a half descent understanding of how our climate works and in the mean time Joe public might have to be patient rather than demand conclusions.
I believe the 97% of scientists saying that human induced climate change is a fact, not just a hypothesis.
Fair enough. For me, I agree that humans must have an effect on the climate, but I can’t see how the climate models are verifiable and it appears to me that the climate is doing what it has always done. I believe a middle ground of continued/ increased scientific research and judicious environmental planning is in order while we gather information.
I hope you have a good day. Qanda