PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sid Marshall's DH.89
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2019, 07:31
seafury45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sid Marshall must have inspired several generations of aviation people. I was a hangar rat at Sid's a bit later than previous posters and he had given up flying by the time I knew him. I used to ride my bicycle out to Bankstown and generally hang around the apron somewhere, and then drool over some of the pieces he had in his yard. Sid was usually up for a chat. A common theme was that he didn't like DCA much. He was very helpful and I wished I had kept notes of some of the things he told me. At the time he was just an eccentric old bloke who had some interesting aeroplanes. It wasn't until later that I learned of some of his exploits.

I also remember the Mustangs -IVI, -BOY and -BOZ. Keith Whitbread (I think from memory) was a nice chap and showed me over -IVI once. It was a great shock when he crashed not long after.

Bit of thread drift. During one of my outings I found the entrance to the underground WWII control centre on the hill overlooking the aerodrome and explored it a bit. There are houses built on it now, I think.