PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WW2 Glider Pilots
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2019, 04:43
rjtjrt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ormeside28
Because of the high casualty rate of Glider pilots at Arnhem, we pilots, home from the Empire Air Training Scheme and the British Flying Training Schools in the USA, and awaiting further training for Fighter or Bomber Command and waiting in Harrogate, were asked to volunteer for the RAF Element of the Glider Pilot Regiment. Very few volunteered, so we were told that if we did not volunteer, we would never fly again and be sent to the Infantry or down the mines! Yes, down the mines!! So, we became voluntary conscripts. RAF Regiment, two weeks at Bridgnorth, Shobden on Hotspurs, Brize on Horsas and Hadrians , OTU at Hampstead Norris, and then to our Squadrons. Mine was F Squadron at Broadwell. Our Army comrades “ we don’t carry passengers” trained us to become soldiers. Lots of weapon training on the ranges, escape and evasion exercises, driving motor bikes,jeeps, handling explosives ,mortars , in fact, able to be able to help our passengers after landing and until relieved by the 2nd Army, when we would return to Uk ready for the next one. I did the Rhine, Op Varsity. We. expected to cross one over the Elbe, but Ike stopped there. I was on embarkation leave for the Far East, we thought it would be an airborne assault on Singapore. Luckily, THE BOMB dropped, and I am still here. I was proud, to be accepted by our Army comrades. I left the RAF in 1947 by rejoined in 1951, and my GPR Training certainly helped me get my commission in 1953
Ormeside.
Very glad you are still here. So good to hear from those that served in that war.