PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mt Erebus Disaster 40th Anniversary
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2019, 03:05
Fogliner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My impression of what am pan is trying to accomplish is thus:
He wants pilots to realize that there were more things Collins could have done to assure he had the situational awareness he thought he did.
There were subtle clues that he let pass without taking the time to recheck things.
I know I myself have learned from this that one should never just take someone else's numbers without verifying. Take the 5 minutes then.
To me the key moment was when Collins accepted the new coordinates without rechecking them against his notes at least and thus not realizing the last few numbers were different.
Had he at that point sat down with his notes and compared numbers we would not be chatting today.
Am pan reminds me of a teacher I had in school who would use similar rather harsh comments in an attempt to get us to rethink our answers or get to a different level of discussion.
While I don't like the way he has kept at it, I do rather admire how he has not backed down on his convictions.
If i am correct he is attempting to teach everyone to be better pilots. Not win a popularity contest.

Fog