PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2019, 21:19
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Video Mixdown
Is there a specific reason why SRVL was only used on Sea Harrier in an emergency, rather than as a routine procedure as is planned for F-35B? Was it just unnecessary, or was it thought about but aircraft/ship were unsuitable?
While not involved in formal discussions on the topic (being a simple humble Spanners) I think it was down to deck logistics. The aft end was always full of SHARs ranged round the aft deck, tails over the oggin. To do a SRVL would, from my memories, have involved clearing the deck. The new carriers are much wider, presumably designed with SRVL or even CTOL in mind. Don't forget, IIR, the CVS was originally to support RW only. The fact the SHAR appeared was one of those decisions back in the early '70's when the full impact of the demise of the old Ark Royal with the F4 was realised. Before my time that discussion! Others may/will know more! Once at sea with the SHAR, the practical limitations vis-a-vie returning to Mum with any payload were fully realised and the F35 SRVL requirement was probably derived from that experience. Lesson learned? For once, looks that way! Cheers, H 'n' H