PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WW2 Glider Pilots
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2019, 14:02
NutLoose

Received 2,942 Likes on 1,253 Posts
Read an article in Flypast the ones on DDay ere shipped home ready for the next fun and games..

Stern stuff

Due to the shortage of Glider Pilots during operation codenamed Market Garden it was decided, rather than fly with an empty CoPilot’s seat, to put an Airborne Trooper in that seat. However, we have no documentation that an Airborne Trooper ever landed a glider. The only story or documentation that we have that comes close was that of Flight Officer Lawrence W. KUBALE Sr. 6 miles from the objective the glider encountered a concentration of enemy flak. A shell burst within the pilot’s compartment scattering shrapnel in all directions. Flight Officer KUBALE was stunned by the explosion and was hit in the face and arms by fragments, and his chest flak protector was peppered and torn. Recovering momentarily from the initial shock and despite his painful wounds, Flight Officer KUBALE took over the controls from an airborne soldier, who had meanwhile kept the glider in level flight, and piloted the craft to the landing zone where he released.--Hq, IX Troop Carrier Command, Distinguished Flying Cross citation. GENERAL ORDER No 1

There were several cases, though, where the Airborne was helpful in landing the gliders. 2nd Lt. Harry G. DUNHOFT reported the following information about a landing with 17th Airborne trooper in the operation codenamed Varsity: Bullets ripped through the nose of the glider, across the front of my stomach, and into the side of my pilot, Lt. Frank BLOOD, through the open part of his flak suit. He grunted, lifted his hands from the controls and said, ‘It’s all yours’. That’s when I got scared. The flak was coming up pretty thick so I put down the nose and headed for the ground. An airborne boy sitting just behind me displayed the bravest set of guts I’ve ever seen. He had his knee cap shot away, but in spite of that he supported the pilot with one hand, puffed at a cigarette and called off air speeds to me. His courage gave me courage. I landed the glider safely.

Another incident in Market was a joint effort by the Airborne in the glider. Flight officer Philip JACOBSON reported: during Market his glider elevation and cable were severed and he couldn’t raise or lower the nose of the glider, so he had all the troopers unbuckle their seat belts and move forward or back a few inches. He had a verbal commend that when he called out, One! they moved forward and when he called out, Two! they moved back. The Airborne’s shifting of their weight allowed him to land the glider.
https://www.ww2gp.org/index.php