PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incipient Spins
Thread: Incipient Spins
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2019, 04:59
jonkster

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Pistons Forever
What real world scenario would result in the inadvertent application of full aft stick followed by the deliberate application of rudder to create yaw ?
low to the ground many pilots are wary of banking steeply. I see it on occasions with pilots turning base final if a bit low, they hold off bank and to keep the turn going, they over rudder the turn. They are usually unaware they are doing it until it is pointed out how out of balance they are. Some times they explain they don't bank too steepy close to the ground because of the danger of stalling (yet they still want to turn so they use rudder)

If doing that and if they are low and start pulling back to stretch the glide-path you can end up with spin entry controls set. I think this may explain some accidents where an aircraft spins in turning final while they are experiencing engine problems etc.

My father told me a ditty he learned in his initial training on Tiger Moths in WW2 - "watch him spin watch him burn, held off bank in a gliding turn". I have passed this on to many of my students.

Over ruddering turns also can happen in strong winds low to the ground. The side-slip illusion often makes people add uneccesary rudder. Same deal - if they are using too much back stick at that point they are pushing towards spin territory.

Last edited by jonkster; 29th Nov 2019 at 09:11.