PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mt Erebus Disaster 40th Anniversary
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2019, 03:00
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ampan
But I have a more pressing matter: Before lunch I was looking at one of those podcast things and watched two cops with the surnames Gilpin and Leighton referring to the small black ring binder. They had seen the ring binder while working on the body recovery and they were sure there were pages in it containing technical information. When the ring binder was produced a the hearing, the pages were missing. Both the policeman were concerned. Eventually, this causde one or both of them to contact Mahon directly.

Then, a letter from Mahon appeared on the screen of my laptop. The letter tells the two cops, very unequivocally, that the missing pages would have contained the co-ordinates of the waypoint given to the pilots at the briefing, begin a subject that had been just debated on this thread.

When I looked for the letter again after lunch, all reference to it had disappeared from the world wide web.

Was I seeing things? Or did someone else see the letter too?
Did this letter somehow mysteriously reappear on the world wide web before dinnertime? Any idea of the provenance of this alleged letter from Judge Mahon? Was it published by the recipient? Or the Collins family?

Here's Judge Mahon's discussion of the notebooks in his 1981 report: