PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mt Erebus Disaster 40th Anniversary
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2019, 17:43
Okihara

Location: Currently: A landlocked country with high terrain, otherwise Melbourne, Australia + Washington D.C.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No-one flew over Erebus.
And why would that be? How many of the previous 13 flights were not in VMC around Ross Island? And how many of those flew the previous version of the flight plan with the final waypoint over McMurdo Sound and not Mt Erebus?

The nav track was an aid, not a railway line
Fine, I think you finally just outed yourself on this. Just try saying this to your examiner while doing an instrument approach at your next proficiency check: You know mate, we might well be in cloud and beyond half-scale deflection, but you know, the track is just an aid anyway, not a ``railway line'' so stick with me, will you?

The good thing is, you'll find yourself flying VFR for a little while after this.

It made perfect sense to put the waypoint right behind the big mountain,visible from many miles away, on a fine day.
There's so much compressed stupidity in this sentence. How, just how can it make "perfect sense" to put a waypoint behind a "big mountain" on the premise that it would be "visible from many miles away, on a fine day"? I mean that quite seriously. What's your answer when the day is not so fine after all and that you have a waypoint taking you straight over a mountain 12,500' while you have a sound at sea level just a few miles west? How can you even be writing this?

There's just no way that you can use Perfect, sense, big, mountain, visible, and on a fine day in any combination and make an English sentence that is even remotely appropriate on this thread.

Last edited by Okihara; 28th Nov 2019 at 17:57.