PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Climate Change and YSSY crosswinds?
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2019, 00:06
Willie Nelson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by layman
De_flieger

+1 about Y2K. 19 years on and the ‘flat-earthers’ still don’t understand how much work went into making Y2K a non-event.

Those (most of us?) trying to educate people to the negative impacts of global-warming still have a lot work ahead!

That’s precisely right! The bull$hit arguments about Y2K all being a storm in a teacup presuppose that nothing can be a problem in the future until it has been proven to a problem with the benefit of hindsight. Therefore by implication, nothing that we are cautioned about whether it be IT systems failures or warnings from NASA, International Academy of Sciences, NOAA, BOM, CSIRO..............etc are worth anything until history clearly proves them to have been correct....in hindsight.

Some of us are willing to accept the infinitesimally small chance that the handful of scientists that the Murdoch press can dig up with the help of funding from the Minerals Council of Australia and the BCA may be on the right side of history.

Nobody seems to have been able to articulate who the beneficiaries of the UN conspiracy would be. Pauline Hanson has suggested that scientists want more money for research funding. Surely, if that were the case they’d be better off requesting funding for research the incumbent government believes in given that so much is federally funded. It’s not like said scientists couldn’t find something else to invest there’ time in that were politically aligned with Scomo.

I can can certainly see why some of us living in western democracies are blind to the immediate ill effects of climate change and let’s be clear, none of us, myself included are without blame but that too is irrelevant to whether or not there is objective cause for concern. If the bulk of scientists are right and I believe that they are then you will also recognise that the problem of global warming passes a tipping point beyond which reversal become impractical.

I dont want want to change my lifestyle anymore than the next man woman or child but I need to look my kids in the eye and say that I took all reasonable steps to listen to those wiser than me and take heed of their concerns. The cost is significant but the loss of personal integrity is also pretty significant too.

Oh yeah, it just occurred to me that the last line I wrote looks suspiciously like virtue signalling, yep, that’s probably right. It would be a good thing if we all made an effort to be seen to be doing the right thing and actually doing the right thing too.

Last edited by Willie Nelson; 28th Nov 2019 at 00:43.