PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Keeping Autoland "Current"?
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2019, 22:19
rudestuff

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Clay_T
It had me wondering why an automated system would need to be run periodically "to keep it current"?

Or were they doing the autoland to keep the pilots current with the autoland system?

Does an autoland approach normally begin at FL100?

btw, the autoland (if they did use it) greased the landing.
It felt like very little flair, and we barely felt the wheels touch.
May have been a one wire though, as we were on the ground right after the threshold went under us.
All systems need testing from time to time, especially ones that might only get used normally in poor weather.

Pilots need to stay current by performing autolands regularly, to give them confidence in the system.

The autoland (at my airline - 757) begins when the system is armed usually once we're on the localiser and approach mode armed. To arm the system simply engage the remaining autopilots. Normal procedure for an ILS is to arm all autopilots anyway then disengage for a manual landing. Flare and Rollout modes arm passing 1500' - at which point the system will autoland unless you disconnect.

If you leave all autopilots engaged, then passing 50' on the radio altimeter FLARE mode will engage and it will progressively flare from 50' down to 0' and yes it does it way better than I can. The thrust levers will close by themselves, Autobrakes will bring you to a stop if armed, spoilers will come up by themselves so all you have to do is pull the reversers. ROLLOUT mode will take over the pedals and hold the centre line until you disconnect the autopilot to turn off the runway.

The system works by flying the ILS, so it'll land on exactly the same spot as normal, it shouldn't land short. Since it uses the ILS and rad alt, you can autoland on any ILS equipped runway even without cat II or cat III approaches. Just make sure the ILS isn't offset otherwise it'll roll you off the runway into the grass!