PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PFL advice
Thread: PFL advice
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2019, 17:21
double_barrel

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Hi again!

I thought I might revive this thread to give feedback on the PFL I was asked to do for my GFT. Starting from 2,000' above the airfield I was asked to land without engine. I felt it went beautifully, I played it conservatively, keeping a good bit of spare altitude, progressively going to 20 degrees of flap as I approached the threshold and then 40 degrees when it was in the bag. I landed perhaps 300 feet beyond the numbers on a 5,500' runway.

During the debrief the examiner criticized me for wasting runway. He said that on a real forced landing in the bush, I will almost never have spare space so I should be demonstrating a precise touchdown as early as reasonably possible. I said that was true, but we weren't in the bush, we were landing on a 5,500' runway so I felt it was right to allow a generous margin for error. He accepted that, but said that the point of the exercise was to demonstrate that I could do it for real.

It was a very amicable discussion, he completely accepted my argument, but it was an interesting difference in understanding of the purpose of the exercise; I was playing the hand I was dealt, he was asking me to demonstrate how I would have played a different hand!