PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Has anyone gone dual G5s (in certified aircraft in UK) and lots of related questions.
Old 27th Nov 2019, 15:52
Curlytips

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all advice, and now another query!

Yes, I'm coming round to overhauled or new replacements for the vacuum pair. Depite loving instrument flying, I've only managed 160 hours of real instrument time (over 34 years!), and with everything else, I think I'll keep it simple. So there's more questions for the team. Both instruments are original 50-year old Cessna, so they've done pretty well (over 3700 hours). Having spoken to the recommended overhaul company, IF they are fixable it's probably about £720 inc. VAT, plus transport etc. But I could buy new for about £2000. That's only a little difference compared to the extra for a pair of G5s. Does the team think it worth the extra to go RC Allen or similar, and if so, any recommendations as to most reliable manufacturers (or any that should be avoided)?

And one more question, if I may. By staying vacuum, my Garmin GTR225A still won't have a gps source for frequency database. Has anyone tried attaching a portable (such as my 496)? Reading both handbooks it looks doable.......

Thanks again! Curly.