PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R.I.P. 26 Nov 1969 - 50 years ago
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2019, 12:04
Union Jack

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Tankertrashnav
Without in any way denigrating the experiences and sacrifices of the men of Bomber Command I have often felt that the aircrews of Coastal Command have been somewhat overlooked in our view of air operations in WW2. I was once in the the RAF club when in the dining room was a gentleman celebrating his 90th birthday with his family. They were taking photos of the occasion and I offered to take one so they could all be in the picture. Seeing my nav tie the old chap told me he had been a nav on Wellingtons in Coastal Command during the war. His experience was one of seemingly endless uneventful flights over the Atlantic, with the ever present danger of losing one of their engines and the probability of ditching with a minimal chance of rescue. Not many medals and little glory or recognition - nobody has ever campaigned for a Coastal Command medal.
If I may add to TTN's thought-provoking post, no Sunderlands, but "lest we forget" the Coastal Command VCs, including the last living Word War II recipient, John Cruickshank....

Originally Posted by Tankertrashnav
This is for those forum members who have an interest in medals. I once owned an interesting group of medals to a Blenheim Air Gunner who was killed late in 1940. He was a member of one of the ten Blenheim squadrons which were transferred from Coastal to Fighter Command at the time of the Battle of Britain. Initially his NOK was sent his medals which included the Atlantic Star with clasp "Air Crew Europe", but his father wrote to the Air Ministry querying the issue, and it was altered to Air Crew Europe Star with clasp "Atlantic", together with his 1939-45 Star with clasp "Battle of Britain" and War Medal. A most unusual B of B group of medals to a Blenheim air gunner. I haven't seen an Arctic Star group to the RAF as yet as I am a little out of touch now, but I can imagine there are quite a few around.
Including John Cruickshank VC, who has an Atlantic Star and an Arctic Star.

Jack