PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mt Erebus Disaster 40th Anniversary
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2019, 00:14
Ollie Onion

Received 221 Likes on 76 Posts
ampan, no need to use the name calling, I just don’t see what you are trying to get at. Yes there may have been an audio visual briefing with a track over Erebus to McMurdo but this was not the ‘common’ track taken by the previous flights. The Flight Plan given to Collins at his briefing was one that reflected a route down the Sound and not over Erebus, it was this one that he used to plot the track in his atlas. As I previously stated I do not hold the opinion that the crew is blameless but I think your interpretation of some of the facts are excellent in hindsight but don’t actually reflect what can happen the real world. I have been to many briefings in my time when 20 minutes later their will be two pilots debating what some of the procedures just briefed meant or how they should be flown. I mean the CAA authorisation didn’t allow for any flight below MSA yet it can be shown that most of the Air NZ sightseeing flights operated below MSA and were advertised as such. There are far more complicated Human Factors at play here than the ‘he was told so should have known’ bullsh#t, in my opinion of course.