PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanish court rules charging for cabin baggage breaks EU law
Old 26th Nov 2019, 15:45
infrequentflyer789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UltraFan
Well, first and foremost, GOOD MORNING, MR.O'LEARY!!! Your loss (however small) is our pleasure!

And secondly, the passenger tried to bring 10kg of hand luggage onboard. I always had an understanding that hand-luggage to take into the cabin should be under 5kg. A 10-kilo bag is a bit too big to be hand-luggage.
Actually Ryanair still offer free cabin baggage and don't appear to have a weight limit on it, just a size limit (40/25/20) - and it must go under seat in front. My gut feeling is that a small roll of 300mm wide roofing lead will both fit and bust 10kg :-)

What you pay for is the privilege of fighting to stuff a bag in the overheads. Whether or not that (along with the small bag policy) is "reasonable" is up for debate, what is pretty clear is that the a/c can't take a full size cabin bag in the bins for every seat, therefore if every passenger was taking one to avoid checked-bag charges (and RYR likely has more "value conscious" :-) pax) it is surely "reasonable" to limit or ration somehow somewhere. If they don't appeal or win on appeal I bet the next move will be free cabin overhead bag, but half the size, unless you buy one of the limited number of priority boarding - then set the numbers so all the bags should fit in the overheads. Might have trouble arguing that it is unreasonable to limit "cabin baggage that fits in the overhead bins" to the total that actually does fit in the overhead bins...