PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mt Erebus Disaster 40th Anniversary
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2019, 15:25
Okihara

Location: Currently: A landlocked country with high terrain, otherwise Melbourne, Australia + Washington D.C.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ampan It might be of some help for rest of us to understand what level of involvement you have with that matter or if you personally suffered the loss of someone close in relation to this case, or else your relentlessness on the blame topic is hard to make sense of. With regard to you listing Collins' mistakes, thanks but I'd rather not. No offence, but I don't know who you are or why I should accept your opinion on this. It also feels odd that 40 years on someone should keep on crucifying the captain who, by all accounts, seemed to enjoy a very strong reputation amongst his peers, without the chance for him to give a first-hand recollection and defence of what happened. Don't forget that he too was amongst the victims and he too left wife and kids behind. Last I checked, he was human, not a machine. Humans, to the best of my knowledge, have been shown to make mistakes occasionally (at least on this side of the Ditch it is a largely undisputed fact). The additional complexity is that there were not just one but a crowd of said humans involved to various degrees in the unfortunate chain of events that led to the crash.

So please mate, simply accept that others are not interested in casting blame upon anyone. If, despite this, you feel that you have ulterior knowledge worth sharing to help the less initiated delve into this topic, by all means, do share but word it accordingly.

Last edited by Okihara; 26th Nov 2019 at 17:00.