PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Climate Change and YSSY crosswinds?
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2019, 13:34

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
With the majority in Oz accepting climate change a lot of us see the need to change from carbon based power to renewables. In include those who have installed PVs etc to foster that change. Even though the Govt is accused of not having a "policy" there seem to be an heck of a lot of renewables entering the supply with a lot more in the pipeline.

There is one thing wrong with the install renewable at any cost approach. No one is investing in large scale storage of renewable power.

What should be occurring is that the carbon based power generators be issued with a licence that covers the amount of power their present day generators produce.

Take a large 2000MW coal generator. The operator is issued with a licence to produce that 2000MW 24/7. When the operator decides that the generator is no longer financial and elects to replace it, the licence will have a provision that the retired generator shall be replaced with renewables (Solar/Wind) of sufficient generating capacity and storage to produce 2000MW power 24/7. Not 200MW of installed renewable, but sufficient generating capacity and storage capacity to produce the amount of power 24/7. It would therefore be a "baseload" generator.

This would prevent an operator replacing a retired generator with a gas powered plant that would only come on stream when the market is high which keeps power prices high.

The way the renewable are progressing at present, we will end up with no coal generators but with excess of power from solar and wind with absolutely no reliability.

I only have to look at the output from my domestic solar system to see how unreliable solar is without storage.

Weather this will make a difference to the wind direction at SY, I have no idea.