PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mt Erebus Disaster 40th Anniversary
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2019, 02:49
Ollie Onion

Received 222 Likes on 77 Posts
To blame 100% on Air NZ is wrong, to blame Capt Collins 100% is wrong. No individual party is blameless here, on a sliding scale though with Air NZ at one end and the Crew at the other it will always be a matter of opinion where the blame falls. In my opinion the strongest evidence that the crew played a relatively small part in the accident is the fact that Air NZ and the Government went to such great lengths to obscure, hide or wipe from history the systemic failures that lead to the crew being set up to fail. It would have been an extraordinary act of airmanship to have been sitting there plotting your course when nothing would have given cause for concern for the first 4 hours. My biggest learning from this incident is that if ANY one on the flight deck starts making comments like ‘I can’t see this’, ‘I don’t like this’ ‘the rad alt is descending’ then I am going around immediately to sort it. Having said that I am almost certain that given the same variables it is highly likely I would have done exactly the same as this poor crew, we are lucky in that we have more information, experience and CRM training built off the back of many unfortunate accidents. Our best tribute to this crew would be to try and learn something from he whole situation.