PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR flying Spain This weekend HELP
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2019, 19:56
Double Back

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More apt info which as far as I know is published by the government is on https://guiavfr.enaire.es/
But sadly they refuse to accept non-official info. Like I fly from Requena LERE Requena Aerodrome (not too far from Teruel), which has a parallel TWY alongside the RWY, since some 3 Years.. I informed Enaire about this, sent pictures but they didn't publish
Also the circuits used by the local (professional) flight school (Airpull aviation Aircraft Rental ? Airpull Aviation ) and reporting points are not published, but "everybody" uses them.
Anyways, it is a lovely airport with fuel and a BIG and good restaurant. Landing westward is no problem, eastward You will notice quite a down slope on the RWY.

Till a few years ago I rented from Mutxamiel (LEMU or Muchamel) but the local club started to charge crazy prices. In that time it was difficult for visitors or non-club aircraft to acquire fuel so had to go to ALC (LEAL, Alicante APT) which involved permission by phone, flight plan etc and then still had hours to wait for the refueling trucks to arrive only after they were done with the RyanAirs etc.
With the owner of a non-club plane we flew sometimes as far as San Javier (LEMI Murcia apt) to get fuel....
Once I was at Albacete LEAB which is a big combined mil/civ airport which had good fueling capabilities.

So really make sure You can have fuel at Your intended field.

There are some crazy TMA's published that even go below terrain heights . I heard local pilots say they don't even bother to call, as controllers are not really interested in getting calls from low VFR traffic.

My experience with local flying is from about north of Valencia till San Javier, so well south of Alicante. The terrain and/or the well built up landscape offers little or no emergency landing possibilities, therefore gliding activities were and are non-existent. The best deal is to fly over the sea and in case of an EF You have the choice of a ditching close near the beach or even on the beach itself, like between Valencia till Denia there is a long stretch of sandy beaches, with low population, especially out of the bathing season. Flying over sea will give sometimes breathtaking views on cliffs etc.

Don't expect all the controllers to speak fluent English, AND understand You, especially British and US pilots tend to use words that are non-official R/T, Otherwise You will get a difficult time getting across. Stick to really basic R/T.

Richard