PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - This ride's a bit low, don't you think?
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2019, 17:13
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Cutsnake
..... Crabs ego gets in the way every time ��
Maybe it's coz he's from the Junior Service!

Joking aside, I do understand much of what he says as Crab and I have similar backgrounds (I won't rub the Senior Service bit in too much ... honest .... and I wasn't Mil Aircrew). But I also see the side presented by aa777888 and others. Bottom line, only the Regulators decree "right" and "wrong", and through setting those "rules", act as the "moral guardians" for/on behalf of Joe/Jenny Public who, on the whole, cannot know enough to make an informed decision - hell, we struggle ourselves at times! That's how societies have asked Governments to protect them.

Of course, it is our duty to operate within those rules. Adding margins will deffo improve safety - but we see so many "Ops want this, I'd feel happier doing that" threads here as adding to the margins often costs dosh. So, providing you operate within the rules you are meeting the Regulators obligation to provide an approriate level of safety for whatever the task is, as demanded by society. If, as Captain, you add to those margins, that is a personal choice - and you may be asked to explain your decision to your seniors. And there is nothing that prevents one, as a member of society, from adding margins over and above those set by the Regulator, for e.g. not joining the queue for the flight at the showground.

Here tho, once your view is aired, I feel it's time to leave it for others to take or leave it. Feel that strongly - go and knock on the door of the Regulators as that is how things are changed.

Anyway, the sun has set over the Yardarm here so, in good Senior Service tradition, time to go check the Bar is open.

Drat, and I said I'd not go on about the SS! So sorry Crab! Hope you forgive me! Now, where is that G 'n' T? Cheers, H 'n' H