PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2019, 16:08
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Imagegear
...... and there were trials involving a Civvy, ex-RAF/RN test pilot doing SVRL. A first wave off, followed by a very precise SRVL and stopping within the distance......IG
Prolly "Whizzer" Wilson! I think he's been the lead BAE TP for the UK Embarked Ops F35 programme for some time. I'd hope he was good as he has lived and breathed F35 RN Ops for a while now as you can see from links such as https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-n...ght-test-f-35b

It's working up the Ship/Sqdn "Shag" capability that may take more time ... but probably not much more time. Depends when the capability itself is cleared for use operationally and then the massed Stovies can let rip to individually qual in the SRVL (I think "V"s and "R"s have been mixed up in some posts - it's "Shipborne Rolling Vertical Landing" (I had to check that myself!)). Anyway, I believe that will be the route.

As for the first use, and someone will correct me, I'm sure I recall a sort of SRVL which the SHARs could use if push came to a shove in an emergency. My memory is a bit (OK, very!) hazy but I seem to recall Step 1 of the procedure was to clear the flight deck of everything else given how small the CVSs were. You could leave something spotted directly ahead of the island but all the rest had to be clear, either downstairs or in the air. Now, those familiar with the CVS will testify that could be quite an undertaking given the lack of space down below. And it was a "last resort" "cunning plan" IIR. How quickly the memory fades - so I could be talking rubbish ... again. But happy to call the F35 "SRVL" a first as far as a "routine" process which I understand it will be.

Finally, as an aside, I still cringe when I hear the "Top Gun" use of things like "Whizzer" tho! It's so ... erm ... 1986! If you have to, but "Whizzer"??? There must be a more "appropriate/gung ho" play on the name "Wilson"! You get young boys (and girls too - just to remain PC) shooting "Whizzers" found in cheap Christmas Crackers across the dining room on Christmas Day. Hardly a "daring-do" TP image! Probably a really great guy and undoubtedly a spot-on TP - but "Whizzer"? Still beats what I suspect most people would call me.......!

And on that note ...... hat, coat .... H 'n' H