PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 24th Nov 2019, 15:56
ONE GREEN AND HOPING

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RUNAWAY STAB.....

I never got more glass and push-button qualified than my last nine years on the 744, thus well out of date on any later stuff. However I did begin my 707 school with Boeing at Seattle.
A 'Runaway Stabiliser' had been briefly an issue with earlier versions, and it was always a priority memory item emergency drill practised on most recurrent training exercises. The first
action made a lot of sense. It was for each pilot to lean over and physically grab the opposite trim wheel bloody quick. It certainly hurt a bit, but life might depend on this.
Different aircraft, but is the strength required to halt the rotation not possible with the Max? Can't quite recall the 707 cut-off switches, but the follow up drill was Stab,
Mach Trim, and Autopilot circuit breakers. Looks like the 737 Max has two Stab Trim cut off switches; 'Main Electric' and 'Autopilot'. Also would be surprised if sudden
strong back pressure on the yoke wouldn't auto-brake in the forward runaway situation. That Idea was to allow time to get the handles out for manual re-wind prior to
risk releasing the yoke again. There must be 737Max experienced pilots who can explain to those of us out of the loop why grabbing the wheel is not an obvious option?