PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter max climb altitude
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2019, 01:44
Paul Cantrell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been high twice in an R22... Once going from Hartford, CT back to Boston... There were really high tail winds aloft so I climbed to, I think it was 11,500 ( this was in the eighties, so I don't remember exactly ). We had LORAN in those machines so I know I was doing 140 knots over the ground.. which is pretty good for an R22. When I got handed off to Boston the controller asked aircraft type and did the ATC equivalent of a double take when I told him R22.

Bringing an R22 home from the factory I went high in West Texas for the same reason. In that case every time I would push the stick forward the entire aircraft would shudder and the stick would push back, even though there was plenty of stick travel left. After a few repetitions I finally thought to check the VNE chart... Realized THAT'S what retreating blade stall feels like in an R22... ( Tim Tucker at Robinson always said retreating blade stall at sea level is 150 in an R22... And I mostly fly at sea level... So it took a while to connect the temperature and altitude to the fact that I was flying way too fast.)

Finally coming out of White Plaines ( just north of New York City) IFR in the B206L3 I fly ( probably in the late 90s?) IFR, ATC climbed me to 12 for a little while before turning me east and letting me descend... But I was IMC so I don't remember anything unusual except the hands on the altimeter looking a little strange... ( and that it took a while to climb that high... I was heavy with fuel ).

The only time I found it really disturbing was that first time... The horizon was in an unusual position on the windshield, and I remember that my attitude flying sucked. No attitude indicators in R22s in those days, so that made it a little more... challenging to keep the machine level.

I guess that's pretty pathetic compared to VF!