PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NVG - eye surgery for ageing eyes...
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2019, 23:26
Paul Cantrell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aa777888
I think you are confusing refractive surgery or lens replacement surgery terminology with eyeglass terminology. If I'm reading things correctly, I think Shy is saying he had lens replacement surgery.

Where refractive or lens replacement surgery is concerned, you can get a single correction or a multifocal correction (example). The multifocal approach requires the brain to do a lot of "image processing" for lack of a better term. This is, obviously, quite a bit different than a bifocal or varifocal (what us Yanks call "progressive") eyeglass lens.
My wife is the head opthalmic technition for a fairly large practice here in Boston. She says they recommend pilots NOT use multifocal lens replacement for cataract surgery:

1) it can take longer to heal - up to three months
2) you can get halos, sometimes permanent
3) you can have glare problems

I've had cataract surgery in both eyes and it's wonderful... Back to 20/15 vision I always had. One point people should know... Don't put off the surgery if you have a cataract... The longer you wait the harder the lens becomes, and the more difficult/risky the surgery becomes. Plus why would you want to fly with degraded vision? Obviously use an ophthalmologist who does a ton of them... Anyone in New England, I can highly recommend a particular guy.