PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 23rd Nov 2019, 23:22
jimtx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RatherBeFlying
The many extensions made to the 737 culminated in unacceptable stick force at high alpha. The MCAS cure proved itself worse than the disease.

So yes, begin with removing MCAS and finish with restoring aerodynamics at least as good as on the NG.

Most likely that will require a cowl location and sizing similar to the NG with an engine that fits.

The MD marketing experts at B can figure out what discount would incentivise A to take the current MAX engines off B's hands.

Perhaps a few original MAXes in drone configuration could be kept for the MBA crowd.

There was a point when B could have taken over the now A220 program for a very good price. Instead their tariff lobbying put it into A's hands.
There is a lot I don't know about the aero of the MAX but I don't think the original MCAS was put there for "unacceptable" stick force. It was put there for non linear stick force which would be unacceptable by the certification requirements. If you showed me how it responded in that flight regime I might say it was acceptable and of no consequence. Kinda like the T-38 I used to fly. Be careful around .9 Mach, it's more sensitive. I envision two cases where the MAX's stick force non linearity might come into play. It might make a steep turn easier if you fly the attitude you want to put the performance where you want. It also might be a problem in a clean off autopilot windshear escape. Would have to see that in the airplane or simulator.