PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopters and hot starts
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2019, 23:00
Paul Cantrell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hughes500
Gazelle ( Sa431/342) has a clutch so always start the engine then engage rotor system
Never flown one so I could be wrong, but I believe Gazelle is not a free ( gas coupled) power turbine. So, without a clutch the starter motor would have to turn the rotor system as you cranked the engine.... ( I assume there is a single turbine that drives the compressor AND the output shaft, but that's just a guess on my part, please correct me if I'm wrong )

As for the subject being discussed here, the first JetRanger I flew had a bum nicad battery.. You mostly only got one chance at the start, and if the engine had been recently run, the starts were pretty darn exciting. Similarly the 206L3 I currently fly is lead acid, and by the end of two years the starts would also start to get sporty until we would replace the battery.

My friend's R66 is very nice... Also lead acid, but the starts are always cool and unexciting... Even if you have to motor a warm engine. I also much prefer the latching starter... You just hit the button, let go, and just control the fuel. No having to keep the button mashed down during the start like on the Bell. ( which is always interesting when teaching someone new to turbines... I mash their finger pretty hard to make sure they don't take their finger off the button during the start )