PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southend-2
Thread: Southend-2
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2019, 22:01
Tagron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barling Magna
On another site a poster states that Southend ATC are now allowing Continuous Descent Approaches and a local living beneath the approach declares that the ASL 737-400 landing at 0200 this morning was quieter than an EZY Airbus.
Its not really about Southend ATC allowing Continuous Descent Approaches. The situation is (or was) that radar was not available during the night period when the 734s arrive, so they were flying the procedural ILS which commences at the SND NDB. When RWY 05 was in use an aircraft arriving from the south had to cross densely built up areas to reach the NDB, cross overhead to carry out a reversal to the north (more built up areas) leaving the NDB again on the outbound leg at 2500ft to be 2000ft at 8.1 DME, base turn still at 2000ft (so a long period of almost level flight partly over built up areas ) before joining the glideslope at 8.1 DME. Not only was there an excessive amount of overflight of built up areas but also from the operator's point of view significant extra flight time and fuel consumption.

RW23 was better but even though the procedure went straight outbound from the NDB it still involved unnecessary overflight of built up areas. It seemed to me seriously nuts that aircraft had to be operated like this in the 21st century.

Fortunately good changes appear to have occurred.. Looking at the FR24 traces traces for the past week I note that none of the night arrivals are now routing via the SND NDB and the published procedure.. RW24 arrivals are proceeding downwind off the East Coast to join the ILS. RW05 arrivals are proceeding direct from DET (or thereabouts) to join the ILS near the 8 DME, effectively straight in. I don't know whether radar vectoring is now being provided (staff costs being paid ?) or whether they are self positioning. From the FR24 traces I suspect the latter. And why not - they can remain within controlled airspace, observing safety altitude requirements, and the local skies will be empty at that time of the morning . They have a better chance of using CDAs but the main environmental gain for the residents of Southend is from the change of routing.

Last edited by Tagron; 24th Nov 2019 at 06:58. Reason: Minor changes