PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - This ride's a bit low, don't you think?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2019, 20:29
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ascend Charlie
Does this mean that all road markings (double unbroken lines etc) and speed limits can be removed? Take away the guard rails on corners above cliffs? Remove all safety fences at lookouts? Take away all things that stop you from being free to do what you wish?

Horsefeathers.
To a certain extent, yes. Less is often more. Here's some interesting news, old news, actually: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...accidents.html

As you might imagine, I remembered that experiment right away, being completely taken by it when it happened 11 years ago, given my interest in personal freedom.

I live in a place where there are no helmet laws (for adults), no seat belt laws (for adults), and once upon a time (the 1980's) not even an open container law--yes, you could drink and drive as long as you were not over the limit (federal highway funding extortion put an end to that last freedom). And no permits are required to buy, own or carry any sort of firearm nor any sort of knife. And a plethora of additional freedoms other places don't have. Which is why I live here. We seem to get along just fine, indeed much better than other places that have all kinds of laws "to keep everyone safe". Laws, rules and regulations do not make you safe. They are no substitute for common sense, and do not stop those bent on doing stupid, or evil, stuff.

Anyhow, this seems to have digressed into philosophy more than aviation, although one can affect the other.