PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - This ride's a bit low, don't you think?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2019, 19:38
FH1100 Pilot

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
I guess I have to side with aa777888 on this one. I mean, this ain't the 1950's where we're all innocent of or naïve about the hazards and risks of helicopters. These days, you'd have to be living in a cave to not realize how dangerous they can be. And sooooo...if someone wanted to take one of those wild fair rides or the rock 'n roll 222 ride at the skydiver convention...then...their survivors can't really claim that they were completely ignorant of the risks. As long as most reasonable precautions are taken... And yeah, laws and regulations do get enacted to protect us from ourselves...but how much governmental injection in our lives is over-reach? Do I need the government to force me to wear a helmet when I ride my motorcycle? I think not. I mean, I do wear a helmet but I don't like to be told I have to. So I agree with aa777888 in that as long as it doesn't endanger innocents outside of the area of operation, what's the big deal?

Now, me personally...no, I wouldn't fly for such an operation. By balls must've shrunk as I've gotten older. I leave that kind of stuff (like Christmas tree slinging) for the younger, more capable pilots. That said, I didn't see anything extreme about the 222 flight. Which brings me to...

Actual Reason For This Post: Someone wondered if N222GQ still has insurance? Ironically enough, N222GQ was bought by an EMS operator, became N73RX and flew as an air ambulance for a while. Then, keeping the N73RX registration, it changed hands to a private owner who apparently has moved it Guatemala. So it's had a long and happy life since the thrill rides at Skydive Chicago in 2001. Must've been through more than a couple of Annual Inspections between then and now.