PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DJ 419 ADL SYD 1500/10th Nov
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2003, 07:00
Sperm Bank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amos, "the difference between being a pro or not" Given your anti DJ slant on most things I think most discernable intelligent people would laugh whole heartedly at your comment. It is is a farcical thing to say and you know it.

Blue loo, stupid is as stupid does. How much study and research have you done on RTO's? I wont descend to your level by brandishing insults such as stupid. Many RTO's end up in an incident MAINLY because the crew do not perform them correctly eg rejecting AFTER V1 (has happenend plenty of times), taking too long to reject and working out incorrect data to name a few. The FACTS are that if an a/c continues the t/o even with a failure BEFORE V1, it will generally be able to continue and return to land normally. MOST operators in the world use intersection departures when they are available. It saves time and money and does not in any way jeopardise safety. I have a document with 45 a/c accidents detailing mistakes by crews close to or after V1. I am not aware of any accidents where the crew decided to continue before or after V1 and didn't make it back sucessfully.

No one can predict what each individual pilot will do during a reject. You will notice some of the more experienced drivers taking their hands off the thrust levers just before V1 is called. They know that statistically it is better to take a problem into the air.

So with regard to your comment "seems like a very confident (or more likely) stupid statement, it is neither. It is simply the FACTS. A/C can SAFELY depart from ANY intersection the RTOW/ RWY analysis manual determines.