PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-2
Thread: Southampton-2
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2019, 20:48
FrequentlyFlying

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RW20
So effectively the airport management have no chance of getting underway in April 2020?,and given your assessment of a refusal extending the consultation by at least a year.My question is doesn't this give more time for the environmental activists like extinction rebellion to generate huge opposition?
NO - I don’t think I quite said it’s a given it won’t just pass, but I would be surprised given the make up of that particular Authority.
its likely to get drawn out yes, so much at stake and I would expect the Airport management to be ready for it. All I would say is don’t underestimate commenting - it will come down to jobs vs environment. Eastleigh is currently Liberal Democratic controlled by a large majority. They tend to go with the community feeling as less likely to be (terrible stereotyping I know) ruthless business men. The Council will not give much interest to the City of Southamptons interest. However I would not be surprised if we end up with a Conservative National Govt that IF the application is refused and goes to S.o.S appeal that decision gets overturned on appeal and pass (with Caveats of some
kind In faux respect of the original decision)
Again if you work at the airport or have friends or want a LCC at SOU COMMENT!! The Local Planner allocated may well be on your side. The comments against will be well orchestrated and numerous from a well organised network. It will look like a massive wave against. I’d have gone about application obviously way way earlier but also tried to stage it and slowly. Let stages slip quietly into planning over a period. A Big Bang often is unpredictable.

Last edited by FrequentlyFlying; 21st Nov 2019 at 21:34.