PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the A320 wing becoming too small
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2019, 11:42
ASRAAMTOO

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AerocatS2A

Oh I see. You don’t need to disconnect autothrust to deal with this, you just select a speed below green dot. The autothrust will happily work right down to Vls.
Indeed it will, unfortunately I dont have VLS figures to hand for a heavy 321 but if memory is correct it could be above flap limiting speed. My apologies for confusing things by mentioning green dot. The following is a note from the QRH:

Note: At very high weights, VFE CONF1 is close to VLS clean. To select CONF1, deselect A/THR, decelerate to (or slightly below) VLS and select CONF1 when below VFE. When established at CONF1, the crew can re-engage the A/THR and use managed speed again.

Now I'm not saying that a competent crew can't do that. What I am saying is that it would have been MUCH easier (and safer) to put in some more flap rivets!

There is also the flap auto-retract as mentioned above which is less than ideal. Indeed somwhere in the FCOM they have even put a note saying something along the lines of 'flap overspeed EICAS messges may be disregarded during auto-retraction'