PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Need to understand basics of runway alignment and use
Old 20th Nov 2019, 23:27
rudestuff

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
In general an airplane takes off and lands into the wind. They can take off and land with a tail wind but that uses more runway which is undesirable. Sometimes they have to take off or land in a particular direction due to noise abatement rules. For example if the rich people live on the north of the city, you'll take off to the south and land to the north (from the south). Or there might only be a suitable instrument approach from one runway, so you have to use that regardless of wind direction. Most large jets can typically land with a 10-15 knot tail wind. Sometimes you may have to fly an instrument approach to one runway, then circle around and land on the opposite runway.
As for runway orientation, in an ideal world they would point towards the prevailing wind, but that's not always possible and airport designers have to work with what they've got if they're in a valley for example or on an island. More runways gives more options, both with wind direction and the amount of traffic they can receive. Some airports use one runway for departures and the other for landing to increase flow. Runways come in literally all shapes and sizes: I, X, L, ∆, > as well as parallels like 13L/13R or even 10L/10C/10R. Often there will be a preferred runway that is longer and a crossing runway that is shorter and not suitable for large aircraft. The wind rarely blows straight down the runway, so if you are landing to the east with a wind from the north - you just have to accept that you're landing with a crosswind.