PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Diversion Failure in Skills Test
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2019, 11:02
admuffin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks a lot everyone for your advice! I was able to pass the skills test yesterday.

The visibility was a lot better than last time, I wasn't heading into the sun on the diversion leg and the aircraft I was using was a lot steadier when I let go of the controls. Was that cheating, given I should be able to do this in all condition? Probably yes, but hell I'll take the pass!

Originally Posted by desert goat
Having a "correct" technique to make your instructor or examiner happy is one thing, but the most important thing is that you have a technique that you can rely on to keep you safe when bad stuff is happening and you're under the pump. Diversions in the real world generally don't happen in perfect conditions, with plenty of time to orbit or faff around with your head inside the cockpit while you plot a nice neat course on your map, fill out a leg on your flight log and all the rest of it. More likely, it will happen when you are caught by unexpected bad weather, a sick passenger, an electrical failure, caught down low under a cloud deck in poor visibility, or some other pressing issue that requires you to direct your attention outside. Often, in these situations, time is of the essense. So you need to be able to just decide where you want to go, and get going.

With practice, it is possible to estimate angles surprisingly accurately without the use of a protractor or a drawn line. If you have plenty of time with which to plot it all out, then by all means do so. But when you're under the pump, with last light looming, the fuel gauges flickering towards empty, or dodging clouds in poor visibility with the ALT FAIL light on or the oil pressure gauge flickering, it is far more useful to be able to glance at your map and go "that looks like the place I want to get to is just south of west from here.....let's say roughly 260 degrees about eighty miles", point the nose in that direction, and get going. Refine it as you go, by all means, but get the aircraft heading roughly in the right direction as a priority. Unless of course, you don't know where you are......in which case you are not performing a diversion, you are performing a "lost procedure".

As an exercise, perhaps try pulling out a map at home, pick out a few airports or major landmarks, and just "guess" the bearing and distance between them. Write your guesses down, then come back later and measure them with a protractor and ruler. With some practice, you may be surprised at how good you can get at it. Even if you still plot it all out during your skills test, knowing that you are capable of finding your way about without doing that if necessary will boost your confidence and make you much quicker and more efficient in your planning.
Wow that sounds very real! I hope I don't have to deal with this kind of situation or would be able to deal with it if it arises.

Good advise re estimating headings and distances and measuring to check accuracy. I'll have a go at this!