PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many hours did it take for you to complete RPL training
Old 20th Nov 2019, 04:33
deja vu

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Okihara
33h. If you can afford it in both time and money, try to pack your flight training in as little as you can. It'll be great help if you already have: 1. your medical certificate, 2. your BAK done before you start. I could have knocked another 3-4h off that figure just due to the repeated delays I incurred due to the utter lack of organisation (cancelled lessons, bouncing from one instructor to the next) and professionalism of the flight school where I did my RPL. And weather in Melbourne is never of much help for VFR flying. Obviously you're really only smarter after the fact. 'Onya!
Yeah, not so sure about "packing in your flight training"
In 1971 I was a C grade instructor for a large Flying school based at Jandakot. Someone ( management) had come up with the bright idea of offering a 4 week (20 days)course from zero to RPPL, all in, theory etc. all for a fixed sum. Only requirement was that candidates needed to get their student licence and medical before the course was started. So on the first day there were 5 new students and 5 instructors assigned to do nothing else but fly, brief and teach the basic PPL Principles of flight, Engines, Met and air legislation, this went from 7 AM thru to 7 PM each day. It was exhausting for all involved but all passed on the 20th day.
About 3 weeks later one of these students came back to start the unrestricted part (Navs) and I was assigned to fly with him. What a disaster, the poor guy didn't have a clue, he had forgotten everything and we had to spend about 6 hours dual before he was up to leaving the training area.

So, take it easy, have a bit of time to digest what you have done and learned after each lesson would be my advise, but sure there is merit in getting it done quickly.