PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mass & Balance Calculation for PPL Skill Test
Old 19th Nov 2019, 23:06
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Welcome Ted,

I hope that between your instructor, and ground school, someone has provided you with instruction as to a weight and balance calculation. This is basic stuff. Though it's generally fairly hard to mis load a 152 (unless you're piling cargo into the back), other types are easy to mis load, and unsafe to fly out of balance limits. For my extensive experience in aircraft maintenance and modification, W&B is the most regularly screwed up thing done in documenting an aircraft. I have several times taken off in an airplane later found to have a basic error in the W&B, leading to my calculations being wrong, and the plane was less safe to fly for it.

The POH for the 152 has good information in Section 6, including examples. Admittedly, the information is in pounds, so converting your weights to pounds would make the calculations easier. That said, if, while following the example in the Cessna POH, you're feeling challenged, you are entitled to some remedial training, 'cause someone has not trained you as you have paid. Yes, we here can walk you through this, and will help, but this is part, an important part, of training for which you have paid.

Can you be more specific as to what additional wisdom you seek?