PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Diversion Failure in Skills Test
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2019, 02:44
B-757

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by admuffin
Hi,

I find planning a diversion the hardest part of the PPL course.

While taking my hands off the control column, looking down at my chart to plot the new course, calculate a heading and ETA I get disorientated or the aircraft veers off course. In training my instructor would take hold of the control column while I planned the diversion but in the skills test I had no such luxury. As a result I started from the wrong point, veered off course got lost and failed.

Does anyone have any tips on how to plan the diversion without getting disorientated in the process?
..Your primary task is ALWAYS to fly the airplane..(Any day, any condition, any plane, anywhere in the world)..My guess is that you failed, because you got distracted and didnīt do that..

..As far as diversion is concerned, I would use any VOR compass rose on the map, to get your orientation / magnetic heading to your new destination, and use the latitude lines (1 minute equals 1 nautical mile) to get the distance..Just slide your pen over the map to get these, works good enough..Then use your head to calculate a rough wind correction for heading / groundspeed / ETA to your new destination..
..I would also have an 2-3 alternate plans prepared before takeoff, just in case..Up in the air, flying single pilot, is not a good time to start replanning, plotting and making complex calculations..Distractions can have life changing consequences in an airplane..Good luck !!

Fly safe,
B-757