PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ERJ 145 off piste at O’ Hare
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2019, 08:16
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
If your runway occupancy time is longer than the previously observed average you will cause a go around.
Obviously, no pilot would tie up a runway longer than they needed to. However, unless cleared to land with an acknowledged "land to hold short" or "clear by...", the runway is yours, until you clear, even if you decide to use the whole length. If your use of the runway during a normal, or unexpectedly long rollout causes a go around so be it. Focus on landing, stopping and clearing safely, not rushing off the runway for the pilot behind you, their spacing is not your concern.

When I have been in doubt about runway conditions/friction, I'm content to land and allow the plane to roll out the length of the runway, if doing so is the better way to assure control is maintained. If I anticipate this, I will tell ATC that I plan to land long. A few too many times I have been training a pilot who tried to rush to clear a runway to meet the hopes of ATC. Ruining tires, brakes, or the plane is not worth stretching your skills, in what may be unusually difficult conditions. I have reminded pilots under training that if they have a problem resulting from clearing in a rush, ATC is not going to come to their defense about it.