PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADF Fire fighting
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2019, 00:24
finestkind

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Ascend Charlie. I take your point WRT contractor's missing out on money but unless the "govnmint" is confident that they have contracted sufficient assets for the worst possible scenario (given our current situation and we have not even hit summer) then having a back up is highly desirable. As far as training, most (if not all) ADF helo's carry underslung loads. I would not have thought it to difficult to train in pressing the tit to release the water (as opposed to pressing the tit to pickle the load when it becomes rotor bound)and become aware of the hazards associated with fire bombing from thermals to birds etc. I understand that the ADF is for "starting fires" and may well be committed elsewhere to do so but there will always be a few around in the training role.

John valid point on aircraft being fit for purpose but an underslung load with the ability to dump I would have thought was all that was needed. Certainly just a bystander and no expert so happy to be corrected and just wondering why not use the machines when we do use the personal.