PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 14th Nov 2019, 19:16
cavuman1

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I weep for the loss of corporate respect and perceived infallibility of the once-inimitable Boeing Company. Oh, how I thrilled for my first flight aboard a 707. Then a 720, then the lovely, steep approach 727! I marveled at the 747 - how could something so huge fly, and fly so fast? Those were the days!

Now, I must admit, I would think long and hard about boarding a 737 Max. In my mind, I do not believe that Boeing can ever regain its untarnished reputation. They made the mistake of swapping truth for money. As greedy as the capitalistic society of the United States may be, that transaction is still frowned upon.

I think back to the days of the DeHavilland DH 106 Comet and the Lockheed L-188 Electra. Our family flew from New York to Atlanta on an Eastern Airlines Electra in 1961. I recall my father reassuring us that she was a great bird and not to worry. Though but twelve years of age at the time, I remember how quiet the passenger cabin was: many passengers were staring at the wing, waiting for an engine to go into "whirl mode", separating the wing from the fuselage.

I don't have any memory or data of the psychology-driven passenger avoidance of the Comet or Electra once those aircraft first started to come apart, but both types were withdrawn from fare service fairly shortly thereafter, though the Electra continued on for a number of years on routes flown by non-American carriers. I wonder what might become of the 737 Max, or, for that matter, the Boeing Company.

Such a shame!

- Ed